Skip to main content

Mzee, Not Yet, Surely!

 I boarded the matatu with exact fare and a podcast in tow,
Headphones on, the world tuned low,
“Karibu, Mzae,” the conductor said.
Who? Me?
Mzae? As in, the old one?

A mirror wouldn’t lie,
The retreating hairline,
The silver squadron above my ears,
the way I sigh when I bend to tie my shoes.
But still
, Mzae?

I tiptoe through WhatsApp groups now,
Where “big bro” lands like a velvet slap.
“Daddy” at the kiosk,
“Fathe” at the garage,
“Mbuyu” from a youth selling airtime.

Is there no refuge left from reverence?
No corner where I’m just a man
,
Not an age bracket, not a lesson, not a past?

I want to shout:
“I’m a customer, not your patriarch!”
“I’m a brother, not the council of elders!”
Let me be anonymous in this line,
a wallet, a joke, a quick goodbye.

Did I do this too?
Did I Mzee my way through others’ prime?
Did I honour or harm with those sudden elevations?

Now, I sit with my strong tea cup,
watch steam rise like the thoughts from my scalp
,
less covered these days, more aired out.
The world insists I’ve arrived somewhere.
But I still check the mirror, unsure if I’ve left.

 

Comments

  1. Bus Conductors are good at reminding us how we are aging so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrible as it tends to feel, it helps us become conscious of our changing identity. That we now are at a new level in life.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YOUTH EMPOWERMENT STRATEGY

If there is anything Kenya and Africa may pride in, it is the youthful population. However, is the youthful population a blessing or a curse? It is a curse to the extent unemployment remains high in our nation? It is a blessing to the extent our governments (national and county) are focused on job creation and engaging the youth in meaningful work towards nation building. In the recent past, the government has rolled out a number of initiatives towards youth empowerment         i.             Making education scholarships more accessible       ii.             The youth funds     iii.             Sports tournaments and competitions     iv.             Youth polytechnic...

10 REASONS WHY UHURU KENYATTA MAYBE A ONE TERM PRESIDENT

1.       In 2017 Uhuru will be carrying the burden of incumbency and all unfulfilled dreams will be credited to him by Kenyans 2.       If he succeeds to halt The Hague cases or gets them differed, the ICC issue will be a major campaign platform in 2017. However, unlike in 2013 when it worked to his advantage, Kenyans know that ICC trials are no longer a personal matter. Actually, the president is using the country as hostage against ICC onslaught 3.       There is a high possibility of Ruto beginning to feel jitters about his position in Jubilee and the likelihood of being a credible presidential candidate one day. The more time goes by, the more Ruto’s supporters will want more; some excitement, some surprise 4.       There is a likelihood of Uhuru manages to frustrate his case while that of Ruto drags on. The case of Walter Barasa being used by the Deputy President o...

AFTER SABA SABA, WHAT NEXT FOR RAILA?

Saba Saba is here with us and I doubt our leaders are interested in blinking; each of them is likely to put on the straight face and hold ground, of course as the ego dictates. Uhuru Kenyatta is doing well so far; by remaining silent and appearing to ignore he hopes to wear Raila out. Such an approach is described in social psychology as tanking. It simply means you put pressure on your opponent through inactivity or passive response. Uhuru Kenyatta enjoys the privilege of state control and thus state bureaucracy gives him room for impunity. Raila has no option than to raise stakes and force those that enjoy state power to yield to his influence. From a purely power game point of view, Raila has done well so far; he has characteristically managed to raise the stakes. Uhuru may choose to ignore, but the stakes are too high, just a simple miss step and Kenya could be on the precipice again. All it takes is a simple rumor that what has been doing rounds on social media is actually ...